Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Drug suspect conceals cocaine in sandals, bag

OFFICIALS of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have discovered cocaine inside sandals and luggage at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport (MMIA) Ikeja Lagos. A press statement by the spokesman of the agency, Mr Mitchel Ofoyeju, stated that 26-year-old suspect, Igwe Williams Ogbonna, concealed 630 grammes of powdery substance which tested positive to cocaine inside his luggage and two pairs of sandals while attempting to board a Kenyan Airways plane to India at the departure hall.Similarly, the NDLEA Airport commander, Mr Hamza Umar, said the suspect wore a pair of sandals, while another pair containing drug was in his luggage.

“The suspect was arrested following discovery of the drug during routine search, as officers first found some cocaine inside the sandals he wore at the screening area. During the search, some quantities of cocaine were equally found in another pair of sandals and inside his luggage.

In all, 630 grammes of cocaine hidden inside two pairs of sandals and in his luggage was found,” Hamza stated.

The suspect, in his statement, was quoted as saying he was asked to go to India to further his studies.

In his words: “I was told to go to India to further my studies, because I have an uncle there. I was given only 700 dollars, still I was excited because I had always wanted to further my education. They directed me to Lagos from the East after preparing my travel documents. I was given a bag and pairs of sandals. They also instructed me to wear one of the sandals. I felt bad when the drug was detected.”

Igwe was said to have hailed from Mpu town in Aniri Local Government Area of Enugu State, while he also attended Mpu Nursery and Primary School and later Andrew Terfa Academy, in Taraba State, where he had his secondary education.

Meanwhile, the Chairman/ Chief Executive of the agency, Ahmadu Giade, said efforts were being made to arrest other persons connected to the crime.

“The agency is working to identify other suspects involved in the criminal act. I also wish to state that members of the public should be careful when people offer to sponsor them abroad. Investigation had since commenced and the suspect will be charged to court,” said the release.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add A Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis