Friday, April 11, 2014

Divorce: Police Officer Asks Wife To Return N1.2m Bride Price

A police officer, Anthony Ibemere, on Wednesday told an Igando Customary Court in Lagos that his wife should return the N1.2 million bride price, if she insisted on divorce.

Ibemere, 38, was responding to a divorce suit filed by Uloma, his wife of four years, that he wanted his money back as he cannot be at a loss.

“I cannot be a loser. Uloma should return the money I gave her parents during our traditional marriage if she insists on dissolution of our four-year-old marriage,” he prayed the court.

He accused his wife of hiding her marital status, claiming to people that she was single.

“She joined a group of single ladies in her church. I had to go to her church to inform them that she is married and I also went with our wedding pictures as proof of evidence.

“That led to her suspension in the church for giving them false information,” he said.

The husband added that Uloma had abandoned their matrimonial home since Nov. 24, 2012, when he informed the church of her marital status.

Ibemere pleaded with the court not to grant his wife’s request for divorce, saying that he still loves her.

On her part, Uloma, 27, a factory worker, told the court that Ibemere had turned her into a punching bag, mostly when he was drunk.

“My husband is a drunkard. Whenever he comes home drunk and wanted to make love to me, I always refused him, I only want him to make love to me when he is in his right sense.

“Whenever I resist, he will descend on me and make love to me by force.’’

The petitioner alleged that her husband always embarrassed her in public by calling her “ a prostitute, a barren tree that cannot bear a child and that he cannot continue to live with a man”.

She also accused him of threatening her life and giving out her phone number to unknown persons, who were always calling and warning her not to proceed with the divorce or she will be killed.

She begged the court to separate them, saying that she was tired of the marriage.

The President of the court, Mr R.I. Adeyeri, adjourned the case to April 16 for judgement. (NAN)

Follow GistaNaija on Twitter @GistaNaija and Facebook GistaNigeria

Weird Stories | Weight Loss & Fitness Tips |Small Business Guide | Infotech Arena Tech News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add A Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis