Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Residents Cry Out Over Planned Demolition Of Dana Plane Crash Site.

Residents of four streets surrounding the Dana plane crash site in Iju Ishaga outskirts of Lagos have cried out against the planned demotion exercise being conducted by the Lagos state Ministry of Works. The planned
demolition according to the Lagos state government is to construct access roads in all the four streets namely, Okusanya, Idowu Williams, Ikoforiji and Olaniyi streets.
However, Mrs. Ramota Soetan whose house is on Popoola Street but extended into Okusanya Street said when the state ministry of Works officials came to the neighborhood; they said her house would be demolished.

“I am only a poor old woman, if they demolish my house where will I go?

After the Dana crash I borrowed over N500, 000 to re build my kitchen and toilet, I did not receive any compensation, I am still trying to pay back the debt and now they want to demolish my house,” she said.
Her daughter in law, Adenike Soetan said Lagos State Ministry of Works officials came to the area on Wednesday 20th of March and gave the residents three days to vacate all structures that obstructed line of
construction. “Alhaja has not slept nor eaten since they brought the letter. In fact we are just coming from the hospital. Since Wednesday, she has not had peace of mind; she has been shouting my house, my house”

“How can the government do this? We suffered during the plane crash; tenants are not paying rents anymore because they are not sure what the government will do. Where are we going to live if they demolish our house,” Soetan said.

Another resident of No 8, Okusanya Street, Mrs. Akin Jesu the assistant pastor of Christ Apostolic Church said she has been having sleepless nights over the planned demolition. “Since Wednesday I have been jittery, if I hear any sound of a car it is like they are coming to demolish this church. We live in this church and
there is nowhere we can go. They asked us to remove the roof and we have done that now we sleep under the sky with the children.”

Another resident Akinbo Mukaila who resides on Popoola Street his wife lost her pregnancy while running from the Dana plane crash berate the state government for the demolition. “I lost my child to the Dana crash and while I am yet to put my life together, the government wants to demolish my house.”

In a letter pasted on the walls of the affected houses, from the Lagos State Ministry of Works and Infrastructure dated 19th March 2013 and titled: “Construction of Access Roads (Okusanya network of roads) to the Dana Plane Crash site location in Ifako Ijaiye,” the Ministry warned residents of the affected structures to vacate same within three days of receipt of the letter. It was signed by Engr. Mrs. I.A Olukoko.

When Leadership visited the area on Monday, most of the affected structures have been vacated with their roofs removed. On Okusanya Street, most of those affected were seen moving their personal belongings in fear of the bulldozers.

On Ikuforiji Street, work was already ongoing as some fences have been demolished to pave way for drainage.  It was also observed that there is palpable fear among the residents as strange faces were accosted and interrogated.

According to an official of the Community Development Association (CDA), the neighborhood is tense and they want to ensure that strange faces do not come in to wreck havoc. However, an official of the construction company Messer. HFP Engineering Nigeria Limited who craved anonymity said the instruction of the Ministry is clear over obstructing structures.

“When they were building over drainages didn’t they know it was illegal? We will only demolish the structures on our way, we do not plan to demolish any house for now,” he said.

He also said the streets would be tarred and fixed with street lights and double drainage when completed.  “This is a big work, we have our instructions, and we will do a good job the residents will be proud of.”

1 comment:

  1. Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. This is a
    very well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

    my homepage: atlaslm.com

    ReplyDelete

Add A Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis