Monday, May 26, 2014

36 Year Old Man Electrocuted As Fire Guts 20 Shops in Lagos

LAGOS — Goods worth several millions of naira were yesterday destroyed by fire which gutted a market at the Low Cost Housing Estate, Oke-Afa, in Ejigbo Local Council Developmental Area of Lagos State.

It was gathered that 20 shops were affected by the fire suspected to have been caused by power upsurge.

This came as tragedy struck, weekend, in Ikorodu area of Lagos State following the electrocution of a man by a high tension wire that snapped.

Vanguard learnt that an alarm was raised by a night guard, who noticed smoke billowing from one of the shops moments after power was restored, following which youths in the area battled to contain the situation.

But their efforts were in vain as the fire spread to other shops, where power generating sets were kept.
The youths, it was gathered, forced some of the shops open and took the goods to safer place. Some shop owners, who were contacted reportedly rushed to the scene to salvage some of their wares. While some of them succeeded, many others did not.

When Vanguard visited the scene at 3 p.m., yesterday, the affected shop owners were seen lamenting their loses.

Test Your Internet SPEED and Get SUPER Fast Internet,

Confirming the incident, the Lagos State Fire Service Director, Mr Rasaq Fadipe, said when news of the incident reached them, two trucks from Isolo and Ikotun fire stations were drafted to the scene to put out the fire, adding that no life was lost.

The deceased identified as Ahamed Abas, was reportedly in the company of an undisclosed friend inside a commercial bus at 5.45a.m., Saturday.

On reaching Disu Ajegbe Street, the duo reportedly saw a high tension wire which snapped from a pole and resulted in a fire.

The fire, according to the Lagos State Fire Service Director, Rasaq Fadipe, was spreading towards an auto parts shop.
Fadipe said an eye witness narrated that Abas alighted from the commercial bus and attempted to throw the wire away from the auto parts shops, with his bare hand, only to be electrocuted.

Follow GistaNaija on Twitter @GistaNaija and Facebook GistaNigeria

Test Your Internet SPEED and Get SUPER Fast Internet,

Weird Stories | Weight Loss & Fitness Tips |Small Business Guide | Infotech Arena Tech News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add A Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...