Thursday, April 11, 2013

WAEC: Lagos Lawmaker Offers Free Lectures For Students


A member of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Ipoola Omisore representing Ifako-Ijaiye constituency 2, has organised free lectures for candidates preparing for the West African Examination Council (WAEC).



He disclosed this at the closing ceremony of the lecture held at Ojokoro High School, Lagos.

Omisore, who recently won an award from the state for his contributions to education in his constituency, further expressed satisfaction with the way the students were trained to handle questions in the examination.

The lawmaker explained that Ijaiye-Ojokoro High school recorded 100 percent success in the examination last year and that the programme which he began with just 80 students five years ago, now has700 students cutting across the entire constituency.

“I am very impressed. We started from the first year with 80 students, but today, we have over 700 students. It shows students and parents are seeing the importance.“The Community Development Associations (CDAs) and schools in this constituency have also bought into this. It has been a very great success.

“When I was campaigning, I promised the electorate that I would contribute to the educational development of this area because I noticed that students were failing vital subjects like Mathematics, English and the sciences and I have been doing this for years now,” he said.

Eight students who were considered very serious and attentive throughout the period of the programme were honoured with cash gift of N10, 000 each.

“I also set up a panel to monitor the students at Vetland, Ijaiye-Ojokoro and Alakuko, the three venues for the free lectures.

He however said the beneficiaries were picked by the panel of judges, adding that one of the students who won last year was currently studying medicine at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Osun state, “and I am the one paying her school fees.

“This is an NGO at work. I have the Omisore Educational Support Programme through which I have been doing it before I became a politician. I had 10 people on my scholarship before I went to the House of Assembly.”



Follow GistaNigeria on Twitter @GistaNigeria and Facebook GistaNigeria

TK's Blog | Free Forex Signals | Infotech Arena Tech News |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add A Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis