Sunday, December 8, 2013

‘I’m not a thief, I only steal rams’ - Lagos Ram Thief


The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a 27-year-old man, Nuru Owosere, for allegedly stealing a ram in Mile 12 area of the state. According to residents, the suspect was of the habit of stealing livestock at midnight only to sell them at ridiculous prices.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the suspect was arrested in the early hours of Thursday after stealing a ram belonging to a bricklayer at the Church Avenue area.

It was learnt that as the suspect was attempting to escape, residents saw him and chased him.

Owosere was said to have been rounded up by the mob and beaten up.

PUNCH Metro learnt that when the Divisional Police Officer, Ketu Division, Umar Justin, got wind of the situation around 4.30am, he deployed his men in the area and arrested the suspect.

The suspect however said he was not a thief, adding that he only stole livestock.

He said he never saw anything wrong in what he did because he had stolen his own father’s livestock many times without being reprimanded.

He said, “My father used to rear livestock and anytime I wanted, I would go and steal any and sell. Most times I sell the young ones for N3, 000. However, when the area began experiencing series of floods, most of the rams and goats fled.

“I moved to Ijebu, Ogun State where I became an apprentice at a wood-producing factory but when my family abandoned me, leaving me without money, I returned to Lagos and started snatching people’s rams. I don’t feel taking rams is a crime, they are just animals.

“The person, whose ram I took, I even know him. I never thought he would join the crowd in beating me. After all, I am not a thief, I only take people’s rams.”

Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, said the suspect would be charged to court for stealing.


Top Stories Yesterday

Follow GistaNaija on Twitter @GistaNaija and Facebook GistaNigeria

Weird Stories | Weight Loss & Fitness Tips |Small Business Guide | Infotech Arena Tech News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add A Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis