Sunday, December 1, 2013

V I’m not attracted to Nigerian men — Chioma Toplis


Background

My name is Chioma Toplis, an actress. I am from a family of seven in Umuahia, Abia State. I am the fourth child. I am married with three children. My husband is from England and my family is based in the United Kingdom. I came into Nollywood in 2004.

Marriage to a Briton

I met my husband in Nigeria 18 years ago. I met him at a party that was organised by my friend’s company. He said he liked the way I was laughing. I did not even notice his presence because I was very young and naive at the time.

Business

I run a boutique and interior decoration business. All the jobs I do give me satisfaction. I act mostly when I come to Nigeria. I have been offered some jobs in the United Kingdom a few times but I have not had the time to do them. In the United Kingdom, I run my business from home. I don’t have a shop but I have a lot of customers. I don’t have any intention of opening shop there but I plan to open more branches for my business here.

Business challenges

The challenges are minimal and I enjoy what I do. Business pays me more here because I have more customers here than in the United Kingdom.

Balancing family life and acting

I have been in Nigeria for the past two months working on some movies. It is time for me to go back home to my family. I have a job I am supposed to do in Asaba but I cannot do it. I don’t want to sacrifice my family for movie jobs. Secondly, my husband is okay with my job but he is not there with the kids at the moment. They are with the nanny. My children are aged between 13 and 19. They are used to the system. We get in touch regularly through phone calls.

Temptation from Nollywood ‘boys’

I am not tempted. I hardly come out so there is no question of male attention. I am married to my business and people hardly see me outside. Men can only be attracted to me when they see me. I hardly go to parties when I am in Nigeria. As a matter of fact, there is no man here that I can be attracted to.

Nigerian movie industry

There has been a lot of improvement compared to when I came here in 2004. There is improvement in both technical and story quality. I would not say that there is opportunity for Nigerian actors in the United Kingdom. I know that some people have been able to break into the industry but that is because they have the accent. If you do not have the British accent, you cannot be an actor there. It is also rare to see them creating a role for Nigerians. They create a lot of Jamaican characters but not Nigerians.

Education

I studied English in Barking College, London.

Beauty routine

I cleanse and moisturise my body regularly. Apart from that I use powder on my face.

Style

Style means a lot to me. It tells all about me. Whenever I am going out, I style myself and I always get it right. My fashion blends and fits the particular occasion I am going to. I also wear what I am comfortable with. Also, I observe that people are comfortable with what I have on. I am not a designer freak. I don’t take too much time while dressing. I have loads of shoes and clothes as a woman. It takes me time to choose the one I want to wear. My fashion has evolved from when I was younger. I wore a lot of things that showed my skin in the past. I am 40 years old now so I have toned down a bit. I can wear bum shorts to a beach not to a public outing.

Full figure

I was slim until I started having my children. I know that I can never be a size 12 anymore. I have to carry my size with confidence. I want full figured women to take pride in their stature. I maintain a healthy diet and I ensure that I do not look bigger than I am. I am the current ambassador of big, black and bold.

Follow GistaNaija on Twitter @GistaNaija and Facebook GistaNigeria


Top Stories Last Week

Weird Stories | Weight Loss & Fitness Tips |Small Business Guide | Infotech Arena Tech News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add A Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis